By the Gates of the Garden of Eden on Amazon or at CreateSpace

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Setting up minor characters to save the day later

Fixed up one of the upstairs room in our new home into a little writing studio. Have the window open to the nice breeze. Have some chillstep playing in the  background. Watching the cat chase flies around the room. Involving myself with my book is a wonderful thing in this new setting.

I've just introduced a new character right as the climax in the book is starting. I was hoping to have it started in the last chapter, but I still had some things to mop up. Now I believe that I can begin.

I don't know what will happen to this new character and his side-kick. He might just be one of those characters who shows up to save the day once and then dies heroically.

This is acceptable. I am a fan of the HBO show: "Game of thrones" and they used it very successfully in their episode last Sunday. Several episodes ago we had a brief laugh with a young boy who was the best shot in his little town and was laughed off the rest of the men at the nights watch. That was the setup for this kid, so then he's running the elevator on s4e9 during the battle of Castle Black and Sam tells him to grab a weapon and fight only to have his character resolve a huge plot dilemma that has been escalating with Jon Snow, one of the major characters in the show.

So, to use it correctly, you win and solve things. I don't know of times where it's been used incorrectly... but they are probably out there. Here is the (now viral) clip of the resolution scene of this conflict with the minor character saving the day... With some fitting music.




No comments:

Post a Comment